Monday, July 28, 2008

I officially filed for the 3rd district Levy Court seat in Kent County, Delaware. I have a lot on my plate, but I am concerned enough about this county to invest my energies to making it better. The other party is involved in a hotly contested primary.

We have some challenges ahead. Unemployment is up 25% over last year, but just as important so is underemployment. I have been talking with people working 3 jobs and still not able to make ends meet because the 3 jobs don't pay as much as the one they lost. Others are paying 20 to 50 dollars a day to get to work. It is clear that we need a better business base here. We need to treat the businesses we have better and attract new ones.

The lack of emergency preparedness concerns me. The Rico Chemical incident was a wake up call and our county leadership seems to have hit the snooze alarm. I testified before the state and city governments about our concerns, but I don't see enough movement on the county level.

I know from my duty providing Katrina Relief with the National Guard that local government matters. Whether the relief operation went smoothly or was a source of frustration was directly related to the competence of the local officials. I saw elected officials who rose to being local heroes selflessly serve their community. They were models of leadership. I saw others get in way, and even divert aid to their friends. I saw first hand that local government matters. My family lives here and I am not comforted by our lack of coordination between first responders and the local government.

I am not pleased with the way our county spends some of our money. I have detailed that elsewhere on this site. The Government needs to act like our money is a precious resource. When I am elected, we will have a constant voice asking the right questions.

Please forgive me if my posts get less frequent.

If you would like to help in a no cost way. Follow this link to sign up for Revolution of Money. It is the new pay pal (and better without the high fees). It won't cost you anything to sign up but the campaign will get 10 dollars.
Refer A Friend using Revolution Money Exchange

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home